The Borough of Huntingdon was settled in 1767 by Rev. Dr. William Smith on the ancient Indian Village of Standing Stone. He named the Borough in honor of the Countess of Huntingdon, a large benefactor of the University of Pennsylvania where Smith served as the first Provost. Smith sold deeds to early settlers, but only gave them one year to build a substantial house, otherwise the property reverted back to Smith. Huntingdon was incorporated into a borough in 1796.
In 2009, Budget Travel magazine conducted a poll to identify the coolest towns in the United States, Huntingdon was ranked as the 5th Coolest Small Town in America.
Historic Huntingdon
Those who walked before us


The Smith Home - 105 William Smith Street

105 William Smith Street was purchased by David Rittenhouse Porter. Porter was born and raised in Montgomery County. His father Andrew was a distinguished Revoluntionary War General. Andrew had turned down a request from President Madison to serve as Secretary of War. David Porter moved to Huntingdon in 1815 where he studied law and bought an iron furnace. Nevertheless, he found his true calling in politics. He was elected into the Pennsylvania House of Representatives in 1820 and later served in the State Senate. In 1838 he was elected Governor of Pennsylvania and was re-elected in 1841. David Porter's brother George was appointed by President Andrew Jackson as Governor of Michigan Territory. Another brother, James Madison Porter served as Secretary of War under President Tyler.

Horace Porter was born at 105 William Smith Street in 1837. Horace was educated at West Point and Harvard. He rose to the rank of General during the Civil War. He also received the Medal of Honor for his actions at the Battle of Chickamauga. In the final year of the war he was appointed personal secretary to General Grant, a post he would continue when Grant was elected President. Horace later served as Vice President of the Pullman Palace Car Company. As President of the Union League of New York, he was the leading figure in the construction of President Grant's tomb in New York City.
In 1897 he was appointed U.S. Ambassador to France. While in France, Porter personally searched and financed the recovery of John Paul Jones grave, returning it to a place of honor at Annapolis.
The Orbison House - 301 Penn Street

William and Eleanor had twelve children all of which married into prominent families. Sarah Harriet married her first cousin Dr. Benjamin McMurtrie; Caroline; Thomas Elliot; William Penn; Ellen Matilda married Dr. John Harris; Henrietta Ashman married Hugh McAllister; Martha Ann; Louisa Augusta; Edmund Burke; James Henry; Isabella Slemmons; and Charles Carrol.
William served as President of the Huntingdon Bank and in 1832 he laid out the town of Orbisonia in the southern part of Huntingdon County.
After William's death in 1857 his son William Penn (b. 1814) inherited the home at 301 Penn Street. William Penn Orbison married Lydia Rebecca Allison in 1841. Like his father, he was an attorney and served as President of the First National Bank of Huntingdon.
The Speer House - 234 Penn Street

Huntingdon County Historical Society
For information on Historic Huntingdon:
Huntingdon County Historical Society
106 4th Street
Huntingdon, PA 16652
814-643-5449
mail@huntingdonhistory.org
www.huntingdonhistory.org
Huntingdon County Historical Society
106 4th Street
Huntingdon, PA 16652
814-643-5449
mail@huntingdonhistory.org
www.huntingdonhistory.org
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)